Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

iPods, Apps, Syncing, and Student Responsibility


With the purchasing of Apps and setting iPods up with folders, I found it a struggle to keep our grade level set of iPods current.  If I wanted to put an app into a folder, I would have to either set one up the way I wanted it and then back it up, or I would have to manually drop each app into the appropriate folder before syncing.  This was taking too much time, I needed a solution. 

Now that I have our folders set:  Math, History, Science, Reference, Games etc.  I decided to enlist the help of my students. 

As I purchase apps, I sync my carts to include the new apps.  Our iPods will automatically sync when I plug in the drawer putting all new apps under our content folders and the need to be placed in our content folders.  My solution, before my students start an activity, I have them help me drag the app(s) to the appropriate folder(s) as needed. 

  • Have students hold down on the app that you want to move.  After a few seconds the apps will begin to shake and those you can move or delete will have an “x” in the top left corner. 
  • Holding down the app that you want to move, drag it over the appropriate folder and let go.  It will drop into the folder as long as it is directly on top.  If not, you will need to drag it again. 
  • Now every time you sync, it will be in the folder.
  • It only takes a few seconds once you teach your students what to do.  They like playing the different apps and are quick to ask if they are doing it wrong, or check to make sure they are going to the right spot before they actually move.  Our students are assigned specific iPods, so we can monitor easily. 
  • On occasion, apps do get put in the wrong folder.  I help individual students move the app out of the folder and then into the appropriate one as the need arises.  You drag apps out just like you drag them in. 


This has worked great and I found that they willingly take on this responsibility.  Because I am having my students move the apps for me, I no longer need to back up the iPods weekly.  I will continue to backup one iPod every couple of weeks, but will only restore all our iPods from the backup when needed. 

Ipod usage just got easier. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog Beverly. I can't wait to share it wiht my friends at Belview. I look forward to learning from your posts.

    ReplyDelete